In my FAQ page, I challenged visitors to go ask me anything that is not-so-frequently asked. My friend Sherwin posted one:
“Can you list all (or at least the ones that you still remember) cartoons/anime you watched when you were a kid? Which of the listed is your most favorite? And why?”
I would have answered right on that page, but my answer proved to be long enough to be a new post. So here I am, and here are my answers below:
Sherwin,you have got to be kidding! I can’t list down all the cartoons I watched aaaaagges ago. But let me jog my memory (meaning do some Googling here and there). Some of them may have really started before my time, but considering how late the international episodes reached us before, I am basing on MY time. I have several favorites (in red asterisks). As for animes, well, if you asked me back then, I would’ve said, “Anime? What’s THAT???”
1. I do remember the WALT DISNEY fairie tales and cartoons.* I was no Mickey Mouse fan, though, because the only interesting thing about him were/are his friends and his dog, Pluto, really. The princess-damsels also bored me because I found them so helpless. I loved CHIP ‘N’ DALE instead. They were the original famous chipmunks long before Alvin, Simon and Theodore (and no, we’re not talking about men in skimpy clothes). I found them hilarious, battling it out with the hot-tempered Donald Duck mostly, and whenever they would do their “mirror moves” when one or both unwittingly thought the other was just his mirror image following his every move.
More from Disney:
ADVENTURES OF THE GUMMI BEARS
2. LOONEY TUNES.* Any kid then should have had parental guidance while watching this. Oh well, what am I saying? Compared to what kids watch and play today, they make Bugs Bunny look like a saint, LOL!!! By the way, if you don’t know it yet by now, NEWSFLASH! Dat li’l itty bitty Tweety Bird who tot it thaw a puddy tat? It is actually a boy canary. *GASP!!!* I just can’t get over it.:@ Oh well, he and Big Bird should get together sometime for some guy-canary bonding.
3. HANNA-BARBERA shows:
(a) THE FLINTSTONES*…“Yabba-Dabba-Doooooo!!!!!”
(b) THE YOGI BEAR SHOW though I never did like Yogi. Spinoffs — YOGI’S GANG and YOGI’S SPACE RACE
(c) THE JETSONS, which, out of my loyalty to The Flintstones, I did not really enjoy
(d) SPACE GHOST that I hardly remember, really — I was too young to grasp what the story was about
(e) SHAZZAN — Same as previous entry. I even thought it was “Shazzam!!!”
(f) SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU!* Replays after replays after replays and my sister and I kept watching because we loved mysteries…“Scooby-Doo-Bidoooo!!!” Spinoff: SCOOBY-DOO AND SCRAPPY-DOO
(g) THE SMURFS.* Fave smurf: Papa Smurf. Smurfette was too self-important.
(h) THE HUCKLEBERRY HOUND SHOW that I don’t exactly remember except I know I watched it as the title is familiar
(j) TOM AND JERRY
(k) CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST, with his friend Hairy Scary 😉
(l) PACMAN. Remember him? My fave character was Baby Pac until the Rip Van Winkle episode revealed he was a boy
(m) THE FONZ AND THE HAPPY DAYS GANG
(n) THE LITTLE RASCALS*…cuties!!!
(o) SUPER FRIENDS.* For some reason, my faves were the Wonder Twins, probably because they were the only young ones there
(p) RICHIE RICH
4. The HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN….TALES*, I think that’s what followed the name. One of my favorites. Not-so-child-friendly if you’re looking for happy, shallow endings to show the kids. It told the stories as they were from the books, that is why I will NEVER get over Disney letting The Little Mermaid live happily ever-after with her Prince Charming AND even bearing a daughter. Like I always say, if they wanted a different ending, they could’ve just created a whole new story altogether with a whole new ending. Same difference.
5. Christian Broadcasting Network’s SUPERBOOK* and its companion series THE FLYING HOUSE* (I really wanted to be Corky, except I didn’t want him to be a boy, either. Ugh)… Both taught me my first religious stories from the Bible. I don’t think I got to watch SUPERBOOK 2.
6. JIM HENSON’S MUPPET BABIES.* Fave muppet: Animal — ang kulet!!! 😀 “Me not know, Nanny.”
7. CARE BEARS In my peer group, I was Love-a-Lot Bear just because. “Care Bears, stare!!!” or something like that…
8. THE COMIC STRIP SERIES, paticularly the STREET FROGS* segment. Watched just for the heck of it.
9. MY LITTLE PONY I can’t remember a single episode mainly because I just watched for watching’s sake
10. RAINBOW BRITE I still have my little diary with Rainbow Brite on the cover. For some reason, I can’t remember a single episode either…
11. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES.* A fave for various reasons.
Anybody want to share your faves as well? Feel free to leave a comment 🙂